You are here
National Highways Authority of India (NHAI)
National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) was constituted by an Act of Parliament in 1988 under the administrative control of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways NHAI has been set up as a Central Authority to develop, maintain and manage the National Highways entrusted to it by the Government of India. The authority, however, became operational in February, 1995. The Authority consists of a full time Chairman, and not more than five full time Members and four part time Members who are appointed by the Central Government. The part time Members are the Secretary (RT&H), Secretary (Expenditure), Secretary (Planning) and DG (RD) & SS. NHAI has technical, Finance, Administrative and Vigilance Wings at its Headquarters. Project implementation Units (PIUs) headed by a Project Director and supported by various technical and accounts officers have been set up at various sites to oversee timely completion of the projects.
Indian Academy of Highway Engineers (NITHE)
Indian Academy of Highway Engineers (formerly NITHE) The Academy is the Premium National Training Institute for sharing of knowledge and pooling of experience on the entire range of subjects dealing with the construction and maintenance of roads; bridges; tunnels and road transportation including technology, equipment, research, planning, finance, taxation, organization and all connected policy issues. In more specific terms, the objectives of the Academy are:
- To impart training to professionals of Highway Sector at entry level and during service at different levels of Central & State Govts., Public and Private sectors.
- To help highway sector engineers build up character and develop an all-round personality as a part of Human Resource Development.
- To assist various organizations in developing their training institutes and training of their faculty.
- To promote co-operation and foster exchange of knowledge, ideas and experience in all the sphere of highway engineering among engineers in India and Abroad.
- Imparts training to Highway Professionals from various Afro-Asian countries, Countries under SAARC, Technical Cooperation Scheme (TCS) Colombo Plan, India Africa Forum Summit (IAFS), India Technical & Economic Cooperation (ITEC), ASEAN-India Fund (AIF).
NATIONAL HIGHWAYS & INFRASTRUCTURE DEVELOPMENT CORPORATION LTD. (NHIDCL)
National Highways Connectivity Company Ltd. was set up under Companies Act, 2013. The name of the company was subsequently changed to National Highways and Infrastructure Development Corporation Ltd. and started functioning w.e.f. 18.07.2014. NHIDCL under the MORTH dedicated exclusively to the task of constructing/upgrading/widening of National Highways in parts of the country which shares international boundaries with neighbouring countries in order to promote regional connectivity on a substantial basis. Secretary (RT&H) is the ex-officio Chairman of the company. The Board of Directors consists of one Managing Director, Additional Director General is the ex-officio Director (Tech.), one Director (Finance/Administration) and three independent part-time Directors to oversee timely completion of the projects