You are here
An apex organisation under the Central Government, is entrusted with the task of formulating and administering, in consultation with other Central Ministries/Departments, State Governments/UT Administrations, organisations and individuals, policies for Road Transport, National Highways and Transport Research with a view to increasing the mobility and efficiency of the road transport system in the country. The Ministry has two wings: Roads wing and Transport wing.
Deals with development and maintenance of National Highway in the country
- Planning, development and maintenance of National Highways in the country.
- Extends technical and financial support to State Governments for the development of state roads and the roads of inter-state connectivity and economic importance
- Evolves standard specifications for roads and bridges in the country.
- Serves as a repository of technical knowledge on roads and bridges.
Deals with matter relating to Road Transport
- Motor Vehicle legislation.
- Administration of the Motor Vehicles Act, 1988.
- Taxation of motor vehicles.
- Compulsory insurance of motor vehicles.
- Administration of the Road Transport Corporations Act, 1950.
- And promotion of Transport co-operatives in the field of motor transport.
- Evolves road safety standards in the form of a National Policy on Road Safety and by preparing and implementing the Annual Road Safety Plan.
- Collects, compiles and analyses road accident statistics and takes steps for developing a Road Safety Culture in the country by involving the members of public and organising various awareness campaigns.
- Provides grants-in-aid to Non-Governmental Organisations in accordance with the laid down guidelines.